What is organic clothing?

What is organic clothing?

Here at SoftBaby®, we’re passionate about providing parents with high quality, organic clothing for their little ones. Organic processes are at the very core of everything we’re do, and we’re proud of our environmentally friendly ethos. But what exactly is ‘organic’ clothing? And why do we use it in all our products?

The term ‘organic clothing’ relates to the materials used in the making of certain garments. In all our SoftBaby® products, we use 100% organic cotton. This is cotton that has been produced by using organic methods of farming and ethical manufacturing. Methods such as these use no pesticides or harmful chemicals. Not only is this better for the environment, but it’s better for the people involved in the manufacture of cotton, and our valued customers, too.

Environment -  Did you know that it’s estimated that 2 billion pounds of harmful chemicals are sprayed on cotton crops each year around the world? Farmers do it to protect their crops from pest infestation, but it’s causing more harm than good for our delicate environment. It’s estimated that, in the US alone, nearly $19 million dollars’ worth of pesticides are considered hazardous to the environment and public health. By using organic cotton, SoftBaby® is committed to reducing this harm. And, by supporting us, you’re doing your bit to help save the planet.

Workers – We’re also passionate about fair labour and good working conditions for all. We only use ethically sourced materials, where the workers who produce them are given safe, hygienic working conditions as well as fair pay. With the harm that pesticides cause, it’s estimated that 3% of agriculture workers suffer from acute pesticide poisoning. This figure equates to 77 million people around the world suffering with preventable conditions. This is a shocking number, and something we want to see changed, which is why we only use organic cotton.

You - While some clothing companies claim to offer 100% cotton products, in reality, the items they offer are just 70% cotton. The remaining 30% is made up of the harmful chemicals, resins, and binders that are used in the farming and manufacturing process.  These chemicals can cause health problems for the people who wear the clothes made this way. Organic cotton has the added benefit of being hypoallergenic. This means that it won’t cause allergies or irritation when it touches the skin. This is particularly important for babies and toddlers, as they are most at risk of experiencing irritation and other negative health risks typically associated with non-organic cotton.

Support the organic movement, and protect the environment, vulnerable workers, and your children by purchasing baby clothes from SoftBaby®.

Natasha b

Leave a comment

Please note: comments must be approved before they are published.